Quadratic, practical, good! The Square Coaster for hot and warm drinks. This coaster is very fast to crochet, can be crocheted with every yarn and the perfect project to use up your leftover yarn in general.
Using the Surface Crochet or the Surface Slip Stitch, the basic square coaster will get a great spiral pattern stitched on it to become a definite eyecatcher. How you to do Surface Slip Stitches will be explained in this crochet pattern.
The here depicted crochet coaster is crocheted using the “Schachenmayr Catania” yarn using a 3.0 mm crochet hook. If you use a bigger yarn and/or crochet hook you can easily turn the coaster into a potholder.
Square Coaster Crochet Pattern
- Magic Ring
- Slip Stitch
- Single Crochet Stitch (SC)
- Half Double Crochet Stitch
- Weave In / Sew On
Needed Materials and Tools
- Yarn Colors: Red yarn for the square coaster and green yarn for the spiral pattern.
- 3.0 mm Crochet Hook
- blunt Tapestry Needle
- This pattern was crocheted using the “Schachenmayr Catania” yarn in the following colors: golfgrün/sea green (# 241), weinrot/claret (# 192)
IMPORTANT: This crochet pattern is crocheted in spiral rounds, means, you keep crocheting without joining rounds unless said otherwise. Always work a marker of any kind in the first stitch of each new round, to know when a round begins and/or ends.
The crochet coaster is crocheted in spiral rounds with mainly half double crochet stitches. Only at the beginning and the finishing of the coaster single crochet stitches and slip stitches are used.
Use the check boxes to mark your finished rounds, rows and steps.
- You start making a Magic Ring using the red yarn.
- 1. Round: 1 SC, 7 half double crochet into Magic Ring. DON’T cut the thread that is hanging from the Magic Ring. (8 stitches)
- 2. Round: [ 1 half double crochet stitch, 4 half double crochet stichtes into next stitch. ] Repeat from [ to ] 4 times. (20 stitches)
- 3. Round: 3 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. [ 4 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. ] Repeat from [ to ] 3 times. 1 half double crochet stitch. (32 stitches)
- 4. Round: 5 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. [ 7 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. ] Repeat from [ to ] 3 times. 2 half double crochet stitches. (44 stitches)
- 5. Round: 7 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. [ 10 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. ] Repeat from [ to ] 3 times. 3 half double crochet stitches. (56 stitches)
- 6. Round: 9 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. [ 13 half double crochet stitches, 4 half double crochet stitches into next stitch. ] Repeat from [ to ] 3 times. 4 half double crochet stitches. (68 stitches)
- Finish: For an even finish crochet 1 SC and 1 slip stitch.
- Cut yarn and weave in the leftover thread.
Even withouth the surface slip stitches is the square coaster fully functional and can be used as it is.
How to Surface Crochet the Coaster
The technique of Surface Crochet or Surface Slip Stitch is relatively easy and a great way to revamp all kinds of crochet projects. Before starting crocheting slip stitches onto the coaster you should keep the following two rules in mind, otherwise this technique could deform your work.
- Use always the same or a bigger crochet hook size as you used for crocheting the piece you want to crochet the surface slip stitches on. If you use a smaller hook size it is highly possibly that you will crochet the surface stitches more tight as the stitches you are crocheting the surface stitches on and your work will deform.
- Always crochet the surface slip stitches LOOSE, if you crochet the stitches tight the crochet piece will deform. You want to crochet the surface stitches at least so loose that the stitch is as long as the two stitches that are used to create one surface stitch, if it will be shorter, the crochet piece will deform.
Always keep those two rules in mind and you will not have any problems with your surface slip stitches and the final result.
Now take your second yarn that will be used to crochet the pattern on top your coaster. First pull the yarn through the middle (the Magic Ring) of your crochet piece. Do a simple slip knot with the pulled through yarn onto your crochet hook and pull the end of the thread and the slip knot again through the middle. Pull the middle tight (the Magic Ring), so tight that the slip knot cannot slip through the middle again.
You have now one loop onto your crochet hook. Decide where you start your surface pattern.
Stitch now into a stitch directly next to the middle where you want to start your surface pattern. Stitch into your chosen stitch, yarn over the thread on the backside of your coaster and pull it through. You have now 2 loops onto your crochet hook.
Now pull the second loop (the loop closer to the hook) through the first loop (the first loop created by the slip knot) and you have crocheted your first surface slip stitch. As you realize, a surface slip stitch is crocheted the same way as a normal slip stitch, by pulling a loop through another loop but instead in a row or a round it is crocheted onto the crochet piece. Always remember to crochet the surface slip stitches loose.
Now repeat this method for the next stitch to the left of your first surface slip stitch. Stitch again with your crochet hook through the next stitch, yarn over, pull it through and pull the new loop through the loop that was already on the hook. Second surface slip stitch is done. Now follow a spiraling pattern counterclockwise on top of you coaster.
Keep crocheting surface slip stitches till you reach the outer round of the coaster or continue crocheting the most outer round too, it is up to you. I continued to crochet the outer round too.
Finish the last round by crochet a last slip stitch into a stitch of the previous round. Cut the yarn generously weave it in and cut the leftover thread.
Done is your own square spiral coaster!